- Case Studies
- Thought Leadership
- Media Center
- Highest Rated
10 Strategies to Boost Your Self-Confidence
Theodore Roosevelt once said, “Believe you can and you're halfway there,” and that’s great advice, after all, he held one of the most powerful positions in the world - President of the United States. Even though it may be great advice, if you are not a confident person, you may not know how to boost your self-confidence, and that’s where this article comes in. Below, you will find several strategies to boost your self-confidence in no time.
1. Look at the people in your inner circle. It’s often been said that you are the sum total of the five people who are closest to you. Are the people in your inner circle positive or negative? Reducing the number of Debbie Downers in your life, and including more people with a positive mindset and attitude will improve your self-confidence.
2. A little bit of preparation goes a long way. If you have an important meeting, or even a job interview, invest time to prepare. The more prepared you are for your meeting, the higher your self-confidence. When you have done everything that you can possibly do to prepare, you remove the fear.
3. Update your skills. There are times when you do not feel confident in your abilities because you have identified gaps in your skills. If that is the case, take the time to acquire the skill. And learn everything you can about the field in which your work. When you have removed the skills gap, your self-confidence will soar.
4. Inside your head can be a scary place to be. Do not accept failure as final, use it as feedback to study the lessons learned, so you will do better next time. Practice shutting down the negative voices because there is a solution to every problem you can possibly face, so why worry about it. When you know that you can deal with any situation, the negative voices lose their power, which boosts your self-confidence.
5. Improve your posture. This is a simple thing, but when you stand tall, you will automatically feel more confident.
6. Slow down your speech. Most people speak too quickly, so others often miss some of what they are saying. Speak slower, and enunciate your words. People with power, influence and authority, speak slower because they believe that they have something important to say. Just slowing down the speed at which you speak signals that you are worth listening to, and that will boost your self-confidence.
7. Build on your successes. Set small goals that you can achieve. When you achieve them, you can set goals that are slightly bigger, and you keep on doing that because success builds on other successes. Also step outside your comfort zone by doing things you think you cannot do. You will feel good with the successes that you are building on, which does wonders for your self-confidence.
8. Just for the fun of it, create a list of your accomplishments. People can be really tough on themselves, and you are often much smarter that you give yourself credit for. Set aside some time to create a list of your accomplishments over the past three years. You may be very surprised by what you discover. Whenever you are feeling down, take a look at your list, and that will immediately make you feel more confident.
9. Recognize that perfectionism is a myth. Cut yourself some slack and quit trying to be perfect. When you quit trying to be perfect, you remove self-doubt, which increases your confidence level.
10. Practice being assertive. Make sure that your needs are met by asking for what you want and need. Do not allow others to take advantage of you, and stand up for yourself. Being assertive is great for your self-confidence.
By following a few of the strategies mentioned above, you will be surprised by how little time it takes for you to start feeling more self-confident.
Manage your Right Management Subscriptions
We not only respect your privacy, but we respect your inbox too. We don't want to send you any more emails than you want. YOU control the amount and types of emails you receive from us. Use this page anytime to instantly update your email marketing preferences in real-time.
Please verify your personal information and then let us know how we can communicate with you.
Thank you for signing up!
Watch your inbox for the latest thought leadership from Right Management.